October 13, 2008

Our Love Story

Greetings! We want to share with you our little love story. We've been married for 4 years now.. my how the time flies! We met in college. I (Heather) was in my last year of school and Kirk had been graduated and working as a graphic designer for about two years. We were in the same ward (church congregation). It was the beginning of a new winter semester when Kirk moved into my same apartment complex. I had already been there for fall semester.. and when a new semester turned over it was always so exciting to check out the new guys and see if anyone was cute! Kirk walked into the room where we were meeting for church and I was INSTANTLY attracted to him. He was SO handsome in his suit and I'm a sucker for a tall, dark and handsome man. I was always shy when it came to boys.. so it took me some time to get up the courage just to talk to him. I told him that one of my best guy friends had just moved out of his very apartment and I was so used to being over there (which was totally true) that he was just going to have to be my new best friend! I'm sure he saw right through that, but oh well, I had an instant crush on him. I don't think he knew he really liked me until it just snuck up on him! He tells me that he just couldn't resist hanging out with me because he thought I was so fun. I knew it would work if I was just myself :) We had so much fun together as friends. We were so comfortable around each other. We would shop together, exercise, eat dinner, play games, watch movies, get ice cream, play frisbee (ok sidenote.. I have NEVER seen anyone throw a frisbee as good as Kirk.. it's crazy), try new flavors of slurpees at 7-11 and so on. Kirk was working on remodeling a house with his brother too at the time and I helped him with that often.

One night we were talking in his living room and laughing and then we both just got really quiet.. and then he KISSED me! I was so freaked out! I was excited and nervous and happy and just freaked. It was so fun to go home and tell my roomates that he finally kissed me! We officially started dating after that and we dated for just over a year before we got engaged. I have some pictures of us while we were dating below. My mom gave me a camera for Christmas after we'd already been dating a while.. so that's when my photos begin.

Our first Christmas together I was invited to Disneyland with his whole family! It was a BLAST! Here are just a couple of pics:

In the car on the way to California

In front of the Tiki Lounge 


Here we are getting ready for a day of skiing at Brighton. I had to keep up with the boys all day.. Yikes! It was really fun though. And we stopped by Kirk's mom's house on the way home for her world famous french toast.

We got engaged in November of 2004. Kirk took me up the canyon to Sundance Ski Resort. There was a big bon fire waiting for us outside. Kirk took me by the hand over to the fire. We huddled there for a little while and talked, I kind of knew what was coming.. I was so excited! Kirk bent down to tie his shoe, and then got on his knee and held up my engagement ring. It was in a box that had a light in it so I could see it in the dark.. a great affect I might add. He asked me to marry him, which I of course agreed to. He then took me to eat at this wonderful restaurant. It was so quiet and romantic and the food was wonderful and we were so happy.

Here's a picture of my wedding ring, isn't it so pretty? I LOVE it.

We had a two-month engagement, which I think is just the right amount of time. Here are a couple of our engagement pictures. Kirk designed our wedding invitations and they turned out really cool.




Here's one of my bridal pictures


Here's our wedding day. It was such a wonderful day. Everything went so smoothly and we were so happy to be married in the temple. I served a mission for my church on Temple Square in Salt Lake City and I really wanted to be married in the Salt Lake Temple. It is such a beautiful and special place to me. Although January 21st isn't a particularly warm day to get married :) But I got to wear a 'snow cape' so that made it all good.





Here's my family
and Kirk's family

Kirk told me on our wedding day that it was the best day of his life so far. That is still one of the most sincere, sweet things he's ever said to me.

We went to McCall Idaho for our honeymoon.. random I know. But we had some family friends that own a house there and so it was very affordable. We went snow skiing and walked around town to check out the ice sculptures and snuggled by the fire. It was actually really great!


So that's our story in a nutshell.. I know it doesn't feel like a nutshell probably after all you've read. But this is the story of how we met. After 4 years of marriage we are doing great and still have so much fun together. I will tell you more about us in future posts!

2 comments:

Kathy’s Korner said...

I want you to adopt me! We keep you in our prayers.

Birgitta said...

How fun to know the whole story!!